Monday, March 7, 2011

Community Garden Talking Root



Since last fall, a handful of folks in our neighborhood have come together to plan and develop a community garden. It's been a lot of work and we have received the full support and commitment from the developer to proceed. They have even graciously offered to match the funds that we raise. These last few months have been quite exhausting and frustrating at the same time; but many of us are excited and anxious to get this garden off the ground. We have designed the layout (80' x 80') and it will be a combination of raised beds and a shared garden. We also plan to have a flower garden, an herb garden and will set aside a portion for the local food bank.

There are about 20-25 households who have expressed interest in joining this effort; however, only about 8 - 10 of us are doing most of the upfront work. I believe in this effort wholeheartedly and know that once people see the garden come to fruition, they will come out. The frustration on my part comes from those not wanting to make the effort upfront. I started this and want to see it to the end. I just hope I/we can make a success of it.

We have been able to leverage some local expertise to help with our initiative and are now currently at the mercy of the developer to allow us to proceed (build a fence, start plowing and tilling, etc). We have also received some generous donations from a few local businesses willing to donate soil and mulch. But, we are at a standstill right now until the developer decide when we can proceed and what we can do now (another frustration!) I just want to start digging!!! Each week that passes is another week we can't plant. Sometimes I really hate bureaucracy!

Our goal is to have the garden up and running in time for the neighborhood Earth Day event. As you can imagine, we have a lot to do in the next 6 weeks! Yes, I am a bit stressed about that realization, but have to put my my faith in God and His plans that things will come together. I can't wait to get started and see how this all turns out.

1 comment:

Tamra said...

It will be worth it in the end!!