Monday, February 16, 2009

Raise Up A Child

Over the next 8 weeks, Stacey and I, along with our friend Diana, have agreed to co-lead our next Bible study at our church "Raise Up A Child". This particular seminar is from Luke 15. The purpose of this study is to look at the heart of biblical parenting by applying 4 simple principles: Choices, Consequences, Compassion, and Consistency. We had our first class yesterday and it went really well. We are by no means, the perfect parents who are teaching this class; we are merely facilitating the discussions. We are excited about this class and hope to learn how to raise Caroline, Jack, and Lauren to become mature, responsible, loving and secure adults. In order for them to develop these character traits, Stacey and I hope to learn what areas we can improve our own parenting skills.

Yesterday we discussed the first principle: Choice. This explored how we as parents can help our children make choices and learning from good and bad choices. As parents, this particular discussion focused on how we also make certain choices for our children and look at the root of our decision-making process.

Wish us luck and keep us in your prayers. God Bless

2 comments:

Diana and Tracy Wheeler said...

Ok, here's a confession that I didn't share with the class: I never made the connection with the Parable/Story of the Prodigal Son as the father representing God waiting on and running to us/the prodigal son.
I just always thought that it was a story in the Bible. I never understood that it represented how God's love is for us and that he is there with open arms for us whether we are the son who chooses to stay with him or to stray and take a while to make it back to him...
That was a two-by-four in the forehead moment! Hello..???
How'd you like my transparency yesterday?

Rebecca said...

I would love to hear more about this class as you go along. It sounds wonderful! I wonder if we could something like that at our church? You two will do great teaching this class - you're great parents. Keep us posted on it.