Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Two Week Vacation

It's so hard to believe that so far in February, the kids have ONLY had TWO days of school?! With all of the snow we have received, the kids have found themselves without an education. I just can't believe the amount of school they have missed. I find it utterly ridiculous and a wasted value of education. There needs to be a better way to improve the rate of how snow gets cleared. Yes, I grew up in VT and we rarely had snow days and I understand we are better equipped in VT to handle the snow, but for goodness sakes.... come on! I can understand missing a day or two after a snowstorm, but a whole week is just nonsense.

If the buses can't make their schedules routes, the school districts should either make the parents bring the kids in themselves or the parents opt to have their child miss a day of school; simple as that! I of course know it's NOT that easy, but I certainly believe the system in how to determine school closings needs to improve tremendously. There have actually been a couple of days where there was NO reason why the kids shouldn't have been in school. Is the Superintendent looking for reasons to get fired?

Yes, the kids have enjoyed being home from school, but at this rate, they will be in school until July (guess who will be crying then?!) HA, LOL. With the 12 snow days they have to make up, the school district should just cancel spring break. Let's hope for no more snow days!!

1 comment:

GavinMitchell said...

When my mom was in school (years ago, of course!), they didn't have snow days. The kids who could make it, did. The other ones just missed those days.
And I'm sure you're right about needing to find a better way to clear the roads after storms. We lived in Kansas for a couple of years, and they didn't clear the side roads at all most of the time, and did a horrible job on the main roads. I guess they just waited for snow to melt off the roads, figuring that it would warm up after storms. VA is probably the same way.
I agree with the idea of cancelling the spring break in April, maybe they won't have to go to school into July that way!