Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

As many of you may or may not know, today is Earth Day! For the past 38 years, this annual event has helped raise public consciousness about the state of our environment. As we continue to raise the level of awareness, I am confident that we are the generation who will change the course of how our children and grandchildren live on this earth beyond us. We continue to be bombarded with many negative views of what is going on in this world, but I would like to just take the opportunity to let you know of MANY great things that are going on to help us address global climate change. Many corporations, Fortune 500 corporations that is, and more are finally stepping up and helping the environment through many initiatives; Walmart (the behemoth that it is) is changing how its vendors operate from reducing product packaging, to increasing levels of recycling, to offering organic line of product, etc.. State and Local Gov'ts all across the US are implementing many locally based energy efficiency and conservation programs, the Clinton Climate Initiative has partnered with 40 major cities across the globe to reduce their energy use, more and more renewable energy projects, like solar panels, wind farms, etc. are popping up all across our landscape in an effort to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I am encouraged by many of these efforts.... and it's only the beginning.

We can be the agent of change - I challenge each of you to do at least one simple thing to help our environment. I thank you, the earth thanks you, and our children will thank us!

No comments: