Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lauren is finally sleeping through the night now! We stopped giving her a bottle when she woke up in the middle of the night after we returned home from the beach. It took a good week before she realized she was not going to get anything from us except a pat on the back and a "good night." We are going on week #3 and it's been a world of difference. Not to mention that a week ago last Sunday she destroyed the only pacifier she would take. So we decided not to try to force a new one on her to see what she would do. We thought we were in deep trouble come bedtime, but she hasn't missed it. Thank goodness! She's still not crawling though. She's almost there! She prefers to stand up when she can. She's still not stable enough to do it on her own, but she's trying. She may skip crawling all together, we will see. I have been told by different people that it is crucial for a child to crawl, but I don't know about that. I need to do some more research. I have been told that she will lack in math skills, then someone told me she will lack in reading skills if she doesn't crawl and someone else told me it will mess up her left brain-right brain function! What's the deal?? I have a feeling she will do it eventually...on her own time. Which is fine by us! We still haven't baby proofed the house yet :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have given me hope, I think I will try and do it tonight since I am officially done with work. Wish me luck. Paige didnt crawl till she was 10 1/2 months.

manda said...

Bleh.

The thinking is that children who crawl first are more exploratory, hands on, and analytical. Personally, I think it's a bunch of worm poo myself. Children who walk still explore the floor, are tactile, all that junk. They just get there quicker with less dirty knees. I didn't crawl, but I suck at math. Ada crawled for just a very short time before she walked. Kids will do what they want to do. She may not be good in math, but it won't because she didn't crawl first (and learn to count dustbunnies?).

manda said...

PS. How do you force a kid to crawl? Do you knock them down if they attempt to step first? "Don't do that, you haven't crawled, and we don't want to go messing your brain up". Ha.

d.ritchie said...

I have been in Early Childhood for 18 years and never heard this.......People think to much. They do everything at their own pace. Don't worry there are lots of children who walk first. She knows she can get into more trouble faster walking. She has to keep up with the big brother and sister. HA HA

Tamra said...

YAAAAYYYYYY is all I can say.

Tamra said...

By the way- Addison BARELY crawled at all - she mostly SAT and used her hands. She has amazing eye/hand coordination and muscular arms and her brain works just fine.

MANY children do not crawl at all. I would not fret over it nor would I listen to people who want to stress you out over it! :)