Sunday, August 16, 2009

Camels, Llamas, and Zebras...Oh My!

Last weekend we took the kids to the VA Safari Park down in Natural Bridge, VA. We arrived last Friday and set up camp at the local KOA campground. It just so happened that it was "Pirates" weekend at the KOA, so there were many pirate-themed activities throughout the weekend, which made camping more fun for the kids; especially Jack.

On Saturday, we headed over to the Safari Park which was located right next to the KOA. What was so fun about this experience was that we stayed in the van, opened both sides of the van doors and drove on through the park. We bought 4 buckets of feed for the animals and it was amazing to watch them walk right up to the van, poke their heads in and grab some food right from Jack and Caroline's buckets. Some animals were a bit more aggressive than others, but it was still a fun experience for the kids. We saw Camels, Llamas, Zebras (per the title of our post), as well as deer, ostrich, emu, bison, giraffe, and a few others I know I am forgetting.

Caroline didn't care too much for the ostrich because of the way they pecked at the bucket of food. I think it scared her a little bit. Other than that, all the animals for the most part were very tame and gentle. Except for one particular camel that grabbed Jack's whole bucket of food right from his lap! We couldn't believe it. At one point we even saw another camel EATING the plastic bucket!

We definitely recommend this family experience for everyone, it was a lot of fun. Enjoy the slide show.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the info on this place, its on my list for a future visit!! Always looking for something new! Sounds like you all are having a great summer.

Rebecca said...

Okay, I just went through the picks, I doubt I will be as brave as you - Zebras in your car! Whats with the antlers too? You guys were just a little too close to the animals for my comfort! Wow - that was exciting.