Gosh, we thought our weekends go by quickly; I can't believe it is already Wednesday!! I swear life just keeps going faster and faster. How do we slow down? The week is going well so far.
Jack and Caroline are learning at school that they are "Too Cool to do Drugs" I have some mixed feelings about this that they are already teaching Kindergarteners about drugs. Is it too early or not? What is the appropriate age to start teaching?! I know that it's not Kindergarten. Last night, Jack and Caroline asked me what drugs were and all I could think to explain off the cuff was 'it's just bad stuff that you shouldn't put in your body' then they asked, "like what?" So, I did talk about how we take certain medications for a reason, like when we have a cold or allergies and that there are some drugs that are okay for when we get really sick, but that there are also some drugs that are bad for us that can make us really sick and hurt us. Anyway, I still think Kindergarten is too early to teach kids about drugs.
Birthday wishes go out to Aunt Rusty (Monday) and my friend, Tamra (today). Hope you both enjoyed your day.
2 comments:
Yes, I'm with you on that but, there's something to add there. The counselor at M&M's school sent out a letter at the beginning of the week explaining "Red Ribbon Week". In one part it said, "Please talk with your children about the dangers of drugs, including alcohol and tobacco products, ...". The latter part of that statement is what I would focus on if I were you. Our children do see those and do need to know the dangers of those. And they know what they are.
Remember, although they are our babies, they are exposed to other's ways more now that they are in public school.
I found the same struggle each January when I had to teach about Martin Luther King, Jr. What did I teach about him when they inevitably asked if he was still alive? That a white man killed him because... yadda yadda, in kindergarten no less. Why so early? And Rosa Parks, and Abraham Lincoln, all people who had to be covered in Kindergarten. That's just to name a few- Ok, I'm off subject I'll get down now, before I really get up there. :)
I'm struggling with this with my 4the grader now. Not easy.
Post a Comment