Saturday, January 28, 2012

Recovery Week



My recovery so far has been going pretty well. I feel like my appetite has finally almost gotten back to where it was pre-surgery. For the most part, the pain has pretty much subsided, but I still tire easily and don't feel that my energy has completely come back yet. I think I still have a few weeks left before my energy fully returns. I still take it one day at a time. I can't lift anything over 10 lbs for 8 weeks, can't drive for 2 weeks, can't exercise for 8 weeks, but other than that, I should be able to go back to my normal routine; with a few adjustments of course.

It still hits me every once in a while that I now only have one kidney. It's still kind of weird to think. Other than the scar to prove it, I don't really feel all that different, I can't tell that I have a missing kidney, nor does my left side feel weird from where my kidney used to be. I just now need to get used to the idea that I only have one.

This whole experience has been pretty amazing! Ever since I was 18, I have been an organ donor and never really thought about being a living donor. I just assumed that my organs would be used after I passed on. It's been amazing being a part of something like this to see how I have been able to donate a kidney. I believe everyone should consider being an organ donor; it truly is the greatest gift to give! If I knew that by giving one of my eyes to my mother so she could see, I would do it in a heartbeat. I can live with one good eye..... Her blindness is much more complicated than that unfortunately.

I continue to still be so overwhelmed by the goodness of people who have come by with meals, posted accolades on facebook, people who have called or texted. I grately appreciate all the support everyone has shown me and the family during this time.

Grandma and Grandpa went back to Vermont yesterday. It was nice having them here this past week to help out with laundry, playing with the kids, etc. It was a huge help and relief. It was hard for the kids saying good-bye. Once you see your kids cry, you cannot help but cry yourself. Breaks your heart.....

I am techinically "off" from work for one more week. Not quite sure what I am going to do with myself, but hopefully I will start to get more energy and be able to do a few things around the house. I guess I should just enjoy my last week and continue to take it easy.

No comments: