Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Measure of a Man

We are back in VA after a very long day on the road yesterday (roughly 13 hours!). I do have to say that this was by far the BEST trip we have taken to Vermont. It was just filled with lots of memories, happiness and partying. The first part of our trip started with a long overdue family reunion at my cousin Lisa's camp on July 4th. As I stated in the previous post, my cousin bought this camp, formerly my grandparents who sold it in 1970, and hosted a family reunion at the camp. Although I have no connection to this camp, it was nice hearing all of the stories. Then on July 5 we had a surprise 70th birthday party for my father.

The title of today's post is in honor of my father. As I was mingling at the party and talking with my father's friends and his cousins, I was so touched by all of the wonderful things that they were saying about my Dad. He truly has left a legacy and mark on many people's lives in and around Middlebury. People were talking about how funny he is (he has a great sense of humor!), his devotion to his family and friends, his strong sense of community, how his pride shines (he is a very proud man), and in general what people have learned from him as a result of knowing him.

I am honored to call him my father and am proud to be his son. If I have 1/2 the amount of love, respect, and admiration that my father receives from his family and friends, then I will consider myself lucky. My father truly is a very blessed man. Dad, I love you! Thank you for being my father. You have taught me more than you know.

2 comments:

Diana and Tracy Wheeler said...

He is certainly a remarkable man and I always treasure the little times that I spend with him. He is very captivating and all that you said about him just shines from eyes. He is very genuine and a joy to be around. You ARE very lucky to have him and he you.

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh...that is so sweet and touching John. I always liked your dad. I hope he reads your blogs. Glad you had such a memorable reunion with your family...nothing much better than that...