Thursday, July 5, 2007

Independence Day 2007

Yesterday we celebrated our Nation's independence with friends and family! In the morning, we took the kids to a retirement home with some other families in the multiples club to sing patriotic songs to the elderly residents. It's been a tradition for the past five years. You can see the sheer joy on the residents' faces looking at all the twins, triplets, and even quads. It's a small gesture, but has such an enormous impact. The residents talk about how they look forward to the event each year. I am glad we can be a part of it....

After the "singing celebration" (i.e. kids staring out into space waving flags while parents attempt to sing the words to "Yankee Doodle") we grabbed a bite to eat with Gigi, Pops, and Uncle Scotty. That would be my mom, dad, and my brother. Sidebar:Isn't it funny how family names change once you have kids? Mom and Dad are now Gigi and Pops, no matter what the situation or in what context. And Scott gets to re-live his childhood days and go back to "Scotty."

We then spent the rest of the afternoon and evening over at the Nashs. They are friends from our old neighborhood. Our homes backed up to each other caddy-corner. Melinda and I could yell to one another from our decks. "Hey, want to do a kid swap?" "Sure!" "Do you want the boys or girls?" "You choose" "No, You" So forth and so on..... The kids enjoyed sliding down the infatable Bonzai Falls (doesn't that just scream lawsuit??) and playing in the pool. Once it got dark and the kids asked for the quadrilianth time (yes, that's an actual number in my world) we set off the fireworks in the street. So much nicer than fighting traffic to and from a crowded park to sit with a a thousand other people elbow to elbow with tired kids. There were other neighbors out doing the same. Some had actual fireworks that shot off into the sky (the kind you have to cross the Va border to purchase) Mr. H was prepared with a bucket of water and the garden hose while Mrs. H passed out popsicles to the kids. Does it get any better than that?? I have posted a few pics from our long, exhausting, fun day to for you all to see. Enjoy!


P.S. John told me that July 4th was Jenna's favorite holiday. I'm sure her view this year was spectacular!!!





























Happy 4th!!!!!!

1 comment:

d.ritchie said...

gosh,you sure were busy. It looked like a fun day though. I love the pictures. I think Jenna is on all our minds lately. I hope she and William had the best seat in the house.