Friday, August 17, 2007

Parenting 101

As parents, we think we always know what is right for our kids, but then find ourselves questioning whether we did the right thing in the first place! When Stacey and I were sitting in the waiting room while Jack was having his surgery, I began questioning whether we were too quick to have his procedure done. It really stemmed from me being so nervous, sitting and waiting, about our son having surgery. Dr. Leiser assured us that it was a good thing to have his tonsils and adenoids removed.

Well, I started to question it again last night when Stacey and I had to wake up Jack at 10:00, 2:00, and 6:00 to give him his tylenol with codeine. Jack was in so much pain and all I wanted to do was hug him as tight as I could and try to take away the pain from his body. I felt so guilty - that we were the reason why he was in so much pain. I kept saying "Im so sorry Jack" because I knew there was nothing I could do, other than provide him the comfort he needed. It makes me so sad to see him in this pain, but I know it will only be for a few days (we hope).

1 comment:

d.ritchie said...

John, as parents we have to make hard choices. We will all question those choices until our children are grown. Most of us will still worry then. You made the right choice. It is so much eaiser to have this procedure done now than later. I know how you feel with wanting to take away the pain. It is one of the hardest parts of being a parent. Not being able to take the pain away. Keep the faith. I hope he is back to himself soon.